[Avodah] If you have an electronic water meter, can you turn on your faucet on Shabbos?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 18 14:07:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 03:12:27PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> I can't imagine that this should matter.  It's not b'ein...

My answer presumed there was a running total on the meter, and thus
it was be'ein. But you're correct that I don't know enough about the
meter in question to assume that. The meter reader might have a display
to plug into the meter, or might even use a data connection to read it
from their office.

>       We might as well say that the Butterfly effect means we can't move
> at all on Shabbat because of the consequent effects our motions might
> have.

"Consequent" means gerama, not pesiq reishei, and "might" would make it
mutar. Like opening the door to a house that has a thermostat.

Micha Berger             Good decisions come from experience;
micha at aishdas.org        Experience comes from bad decisions.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Djoha, from a Sepharadi fable
Fax: (270) 514-1507