[Avodah] Lehadlik Ner

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 16 13:19:38 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:03:50PM -0400, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
: If I remember correctly from my bar mitzva pshet'l, this ties in to
: the brocho "AKBV al mitzvas tefillin" made on tefillin shel rosh. The
: shel rosh has the additional aspect of forbidding hesech hadaas while
: it's worn; the mitzva therefore is in the wearing rather than (as with
: the shel yad) in the donning.

The AhS notes that "al mitzvas tefillin" (if you're noheig to say it)
is said /after/ the tefillah shel rosh is put on. He also notes that
even if shel rosh and shel yad are separate mitzvos of the 613, there
are other cases where one berakhah is made on two mitzvos. He argues
that the "barukh sheim" isn't because of a possible berakhah levatalah,
because any chance of a berakhah levatalah would cause a safeiq berakhos
lehaqeil and eliminate AMT.

The AhS is therefore mechadeish that AMT is a birkhas hanehenin, not
a birkhas hamitzvah! We thank HQBH for "vesamti es shemi al BY", and
that's why we continue with "barukh sheim".

Micha Berger             It's nice to be smart,
micha at aishdas.org        but it's smarter to be nice.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - R' Lazer Brody
Fax: (270) 514-1507