[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jul 15 14:02:31 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger wrote:
> Picture being able to tie why you're going to the store to what
> it is you plan on accomplishing in your life's avodah. I think
> it would be very powerful in making all of life, even
> recreation or side interests, holy -- however it is you define
> holiness.

R' David Riceman asked:
> Why doesn't it work just as well for just a little time every
> day? Not everything you do at work ties directly into the
> Master Plan.

I'm wondering why RDR included the qualifier "directly". Suppose one would run his life in a manner such that everything one does at work ties into the Master Plan somehow or other, whether directly or indirectly.

It seems to me that the first time Rav Shimon Bar Yochai left the cave, he had felt that all our actions must tie into the Master Plan directly. So he was sent back in, and when he emerged the second time, he understood the value of indirect ties as well. My only problem is when there are no ties at all.

Akiva Miller