[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 13 10:25:24 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:15:17AM -0400, RCM wrote:
: off enough light so you would not trip in a dark room. In my experience
: perhaps in the immediate vicinity (say 5-6 inches) from the LED there is
: some illumination but this falls off very rapidly. I would ask if in fact
: the level of illumination is discussed by the poskim wrt ner Shabbos,
: whether extremely low and very local (within a few inches) levels of
: illumination suffice for Oneg Shabbos (and therefore for ner Shabbos)?

I hope I'm not belaboring the point, but...

The LEDs RnTK is asking about are designed to replace tea lights. To be
put into tea light holders and look as close to the original as they can
approximate. (Many even flicker, to further the illusion.) You don't
need to extapolate from your experience with other LEDs about how well
they radiate that light. The whole idea behind their design is that the
light they give is comparable in brightness and color to that of a candle.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             It's never too late
micha at aishdas.org        to become the person
http://www.aishdas.org   you might have been.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      - George Elliot