[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 11 06:06:51 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 07:20:00AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
>> I am less focused than you.  I, for example, would like to develop an
>> O(n^2) algorithm for matrix multiplication some day...

> I presume that developing such and algorithm would be part of what you do
> for a living.  Since earning a living and supporting one's family is a
> requirement of Yahadus,  I would consider this as part of your avodas
> HaShem...

Probably not. It's more of an intriguing research problem.

(Kind of like my dream of fleshing out my ideas about a programming
language that would make it easier to write software for today's multi-CPU
machines. It's just a fun project, if I ever had the time for it.)

That's why I replied with RSSkop's comment about being able to sanctify
recreation, if the recreation is truly and honestly -- without fooling
oneself -- in order to be more fit at one's tafqid.

(Which RSS defines as hatavah, and even though his haqdamah is how I
aspire to live my own life, in general I've been advocating the "shiv'im
panim" approach to answering the original "Main Point" question.)

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch