[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 9 08:23:01 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 01:50:59PM +0300, Doron Beckerman wrote:
: I concede that there is a Machlokes Rishonim as to whether the Shoftim
: themselves were part of the Shalsheles Hakabbalah. The Rambam in his
: Hakdamah to Mishneh Torah, which I took as authoritative, conspicously
: skips over them, since he maintained that the Shalsheles went through the
: heads of Beis Din - Pinchas to Eli. See Avodas Hamelech there...

Looking at the Avodas haMelekh's separation between limud, qabbalah and
mesirah, I had the following thought:

I'm not sure there is a machloqes in substance. It could be a difference
in definition of terms. Rebbe-talmid from Moshe Rabbeinu to R' Yehudah
haNasi might not run through the avos beis din. While halachic authority
would. They might simply be describing different chains.

Micha Berger             You cannot propel yourself forward
micha at aishdas.org        by patting yourself on the back.
http://www.aishdas.org                   -Anonymous
Fax: (270) 514-1507