[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Jul 6 13:32:04 PDT 2012

R' David Riceman wrote:

> What I tell my son is that there are minimum standards that
> everyone must strive to perform, but beyond that one has quite
> a bit of flexibility about how much of an oveid hashem one
> desires to be, ...

I am a very lazy person, but in my *desires*, I cannot imagine striving to be anything less than a *total* oveid Hashem. And I try to tell my kids that this should be their desire too. I hope to hear that "how much of an oveid hashem one desires to be" was an accidentally poor choice of words.

In my view, there are many things everyone must try to do, but one does have quite a bit of flexibility in HOW one does those things. One will serve Hashem by teaching Torah, another will serve Hashem by teaching math, and a third will serve Hashem by collecting trash. One will serve Hashem by saying Kiddush standing, another will serve Hashem by saying Kiddush sitting, and a third will serve Hashem by saying Kiddush in the hospital with the patients. And so on and so forth.

Akiva Miller