[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

hankman hankman at bell.net
Fri Jul 6 09:02:11 PDT 2012

R'nTK wrote:
> Amazing how two people can look at the same thing and see it two
> completely different ways!

> "Ta'amu ure'u" doesn't mean "enjoy the pleasures of this world"! (Not
> that Hashem doesn't want us to enjoy the delicious and beautiful things
> He gave us in His world -- of course He does!)

> It means: Learn Torah, taste how sweet the Torah is, taste Shabbos,
> taste Yom Tov, EXPERIENCE Torah life ("ta'amu") and make an effort to
> UNDERSTAND IT INTELLECTUALLY ("ure'u") and you will then know in your
> bones as well as in your heart and in your mind, that Hashem is good!

What you see in this pasuk probably is a correct interpretation, but that
does not necessarily mean that what I saw in the pasuk is wrong. Shivim
panim laTorah.

You wrote: Ta'amu, means Torah, rather than "enjoy the pleasures of this
world." But with the correct kavanah "enjoy the pleasures of this world"
could be the literal intent of the pasuk too, such that it could be the
mekor for the Y-mi quoted by RMB.

Kol Tuv
Chaim Manaster