[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

Daas Books info at daasbooks.com
Fri Jul 6 07:59:19 PDT 2012

> I have long felt exactly that way, and I've often quoted Devarim 10:12-13 in
> support of it:
>
> "Now, Israel, what does Hashem ask of you? Only that you respect Hashem your
> G-d, go in His ways, love Him, and serve Hashem your G-d with all your heart
> and all your soul, keeping Hashem's mitzvos and laws, which I command you
> today, for your own good."

So the goal is ³your own good² - what is that good?

The ultimate teleological purpose of Judaism appears to me (echoing Micha)
to achieve deveikus b¹Hashem

(But a maklokus Rishonim how to achieve this.)

See Devarim 4:4, 10:20, 11:22, 13:5, 30:20

(This may be the same as shleimus - See also Rav Hirsch, Horeb.)

- Alexander Seinfeld