[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 6 07:07:34 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 09:24:43AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> In some wars. Shemuel I 19:8, "vayeitzei David bayilachem baPelishtim",
>> predate his appointment. II 8:1, "vayakh David es Pelishtim". v. 2
>> "Vayach es Moav". Etc.. for a number of battles through that pereq.
>
>> "Lo sivneh bayis liShmi, ki damim Rabim shafakhta artzah lefanai"
>> -Divrei haYamim I 22:8.
>
>> He went to enough wars to be disqualified from bulding bayis rishon.
>
> 1. Maybe he wasn't a talmid chacham then

Even in Shemuel II 8:1, where he was melekh already? He already wrote
numerous kapitelach Tehillim by this point. (LeDavid beshanoso es ta'amo
was written when on the lam from Shaul, no?)

> 2. There was a long period when he had no choice but to fight.  Nobody
> says a talmid chochom *may* not fight...
> When Asa conscripted talmidei chachamim they fought, but he was punished
> for it.

I thought Asa's sin was in focusing on bitul Torah rather than constripting
all segments equally.

>> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 07:30:21AM +0300, Doron Beckerman wrote:
>> :>  the Shofetim
>
>> : Who, by and large, were not the greatest Talmidei Chachamim of their times.
>
>> Yiftach bedoro keShmuel bedoro.
>
> How is that relevant? ...

Because the quote is about the halachic authority of "hashofeit asher
bayamim haheim." See RH 25a-b. Yiftach is being described as his
generation's greatest TC, or at least greatest poseiq (and thus some
sort of TC).

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter