[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Doron Beckerman beck072 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 21:30:21 PDT 2012

 >> (a) and (b) aren't entirely separable... Nobody claimed (b) in the
absolute terms you are putting it <<

I disagree, in the terms that I put it. Which people here *did* claim, or
at least imply, by asking why Yeshiva boys run away when rockets are
raining down on their Dalet Amos. The equivalent of this by theft is a
thief walking into the house of a Talmid Chacham and the TC saying - ha,
ha, you can't steal from me, I'm a Talmid Chacham!

>> If the same is true of war, and I argued it isn't <<

See the Tzitz Eliezer I cited. L'maaseh, it is.

>> And the precedents of Yehoshua <<

Kibbush HaAretz needed to be done davka Bekoach HaTorah.

>> the Shofetim <<

Who, by and large, were not the greatest Talmidei Chachamim of their times.

>> Shaul <<

Hashem explicitly appointed him as the best there was.

>> David haMelekh <<

See Rashi Sanhedrin 49a - "Ilmalei David Shehayah Osek BaTorah, Lo Asah
Yoav Milchamah, Aval Zechuso Shel David Omedes Lo LeYoav BeMilchamosav Shel
David."

>> R' Aqiva -- including avos of their respective Batei Din haGadol -- are
also relevent. <<

Sources?