[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Wed Jul 4 11:38:57 PDT 2012

Thank you for the tshuva. It was very pleasant to read an actual psak.

A couple of notes:
1) Even though he quotes Rav Kook as saying that even in war yeshiva
students should stay in yeshiva, I was told that Rav Zvi Yehuda emptied
out Mercaz in 48.
2) I find it very strange to have a psak on such a weighty issue based
mainly on Midrash.
3) I personally wouldn't have much of a problem if his criteria of
people who learn day and night, who kill themselves over Torah, were the
ones to get a patur. This is not someone who simply does 2 sedarim a
day. I work full time and I certainly do not "kill myself or toil day
and night" at my job. And it is certainly not "the smokers".

Ben