[Avodah] Mechallel Shabbos to destroy a non-kosher phone

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 4 11:36:36 PDT 2012

A rebbe might be aggadically comparable to a melekh, or have authority
that derives from that of a melekh, but to claim the Rambam's Hil'
Melakhim apply to rabbeim??? Morid bemalkhus is chayav misah? Is a
rebbe who was subject to a fight over succession annointed? Are all
rabbeim ben-achar-ben from Shelomo haMelekh? etc...

For someone who regularly insists on following the logic of the law as he
sees it even when it reaches conclusions I would considered absurdly far
from the values taught by aggadah, I find your position on this thread
remarkably inconsistent.

As for the other part... Yes, I think the objection is based on history.
Regardless of what the TAY Rebbe intended, past performance leads us to
expect that yes, those roaming squads taking phones away from people who
didn't personally choose to be his chassidim are a likely outcome. And in
fact, it happens so often, it's hard to believe the rebbe himself doesn't
know to expect this outcome. Which means he feels strongly enough about
the elimination of such phones from his qehillah to consider it worth
causing this risk.

Micha Berger             When memories exceed dreams,
micha at aishdas.org        The end is near.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Rav Moshe Sherer
Fax: (270) 514-1507