[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 3 12:51:40 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:54:09PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
:> I don't think the comparison holds.
:> Generating wealth is a matter of accomplishment.

: I usually answer this with the following:

: Imagine a parent had twins who he sent out on their own missions --
: the first he gave $1000 ....                        the second he gave
: $1,000,000 and gave him the same charge. In a year the first came back
: with investment income of $1000 and the second with $100,000....
:                The wise father would realize however that the first had
: ROI of 100% while the second had ROI of only 10%. Hameivin Yavin.

And in our nimshal, the Father only gave his children the "money" in order
to allow them to develop themselves. It's not how much is made or even the
ROI, it's the ability to produce returns that is the iqar.