[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Tue Jul 3 08:35:55 PDT 2012

On 7/3/2012 1:38 PM, Doron Beckerman wrote:
> The concept that the Lomdei Torah run away when they shoot rockets
> means that they don't believe that their Torah protects is just silly.
> When you daven for soldiers' safety, do you think it pointless? Would
> you run if the shul you were in, as you were saying Tehilim for
> soldiers, was being bombed? Why?

If someone is claiming he has a patur from the way of the world, I
expect him to act like it.

I don't believe that praying for health gives me a patur from observing
some basic rules of health, nor does davening for parnassa relieve me
from going to work, nor does praying for geula give me a patur from
working towards it.  Is it pointless to pray? No, but I have no idea
what happens with my prayers and I don't claim any special privileges
because I pray.

Ben