[Avodah] Mechallel Shabbos to destroy a non-kosher phone

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jul 3 08:00:49 PDT 2012

On 3/07/2012 8:54 AM, Akiva Miller wrote:
> And RZS asnwered:
>> Because they have no right to have it in the first place.
>> Uvi'arta hara mikirbecha. If you see a Jew eating treif, do
>> you not have the right and obligation to take it from them
>> and destroy it?

> I do not know the answer to that question. But for the sake of argument,
> let's say that I do have an obligation to take and destroy a pork chop
> that I see a Jew eating. Let's say, again for the sake of argument,
> that I must even take and destroy an issur d'rabanan, such as a chicken
> parmagiana, that I see him eating.

> But this is not that case. This is a case where I see him eating some
> Chalav Hacompanies. I do not see where the question even begins.

I guarantee you that if a TAY chasid were to be seen eating Chalav
Hacompanies it would be taken from him.

>> We are, after all, talking not about random people deciding to
>> do this on their own, but about a specific instruction from
>> the TAY Rebbe, who certainly has the authority of a beis din.

> Who, pray tell, gave Real Semicha to the TAY Rebbe, that he would have
> the authority to take someone's property and destroy it?

What has Real Semicha (TM) got to do with it?  Does hefker BD not
apply nowadays?!  His authority derives, like anybody else's, from
his chassidim.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion