[Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Sun Jul 1 19:35:55 PDT 2012

On 5/22/2012 5:36 PM, Doron Beckerman wrote:
> Either way, Rav Moshe held that Yeshiva students are absolved from army
> service in Israel. See IM Yoreh Deah IV:33.
> http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=14679&st=&pgnum=263

I've often wondered how is it that there is no psak on this issue. Rav
Moshe's tshuva is, WADR, not an exception to this point. In just a few
sentences with little or no explanation, he rules that Talmud Torah
overrides army service. He cites one source, no explanation on the
source (who is a rabban, what shimrah do they not need (for example Rav
Melameid ruled that this is only dealing with theft)), no dealing with
the various Rambams and other sources, what if the rabbanan in question
demand shmirah or in their actions show very clearly that, yes they do
need shmirah (ya'ani running away from rockets).

Ben