[Avodah] Metz on Shabbos for hypospadias, but not otherwise

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Sep 24 11:42:46 PDT 2012

> R' Meir Rabi wrote:
>> Take heating water for the Rach HaNimol as an example. I am
>> confident and have verified this with a few doctors here that
>> hot water may have some benefits in promoting blood circulation
>> and comforting the baby, but unless a medical reason is
>> mandated by a doctor, we are not Mechallel Shabbos for this.

[R' Akiva Miller replied:]
> If you asked about *hot* water, then what you write seems reasonable to me.

> But consider this: Perhaps the medical benefit is not from *hot* water,
> but from *cooked* water. In other words, pasteurized, disinfected water.
> Perhaps Chazal saw this benefit in hot water, and did not realize that the
> benefit remains even after the water has cooled.

My (AF) response: RAM, that is a very bright insight that offers a
great alternate peshat in teh gemara. However, R' Dr. Halpern spoke of
hot water, to promote blood circulation in limbs that are at risk of
becoming gangrenous. And hot water is also what the Rishonim seem to
have understood.

Gmar chatima tova,
--
Arie Folger,