[Avodah] tunes on YK

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 03:05:22 PDT 2012

RYBS points out that selichot stress the unworthiness of man while piyut
stresses the grandeur on man.
On YK both these elements are displayed. However, RYBS states that on kol
nidre night the emphasis is on selichot and not piyut.
One example he brings is " ke-hinei ke-chomer beyad hatozer" . The idea is
that G-d fashions everything and we are just the object
of G-d's maniuplations.

Nevertheless, in all the shuls I have attended this is sung with a happy
tune which seems to be the opposite of the intent of the selicha
that we are lowly beings.

--
Eli Turkel