[Avodah] Burying suicides

SBA sba at sba2.com
Sat Sep 22 21:49:20 PDT 2012

From: Micha Berger < >
> Rav Schwarz: We have a halacha in the SA which can and frankly should
> be applied, even if the application is difficult for social reasons...

> Rav Meidan: First of all the cost of applying this halacha is simply
> too high and secondly we have no way what so ever of deciding anything
> in these matters in this day and age.

Burying suicides is the very related issue, if it isn't even a prior case of
the same issue. And lemaaseh, I don't know of a beis olam that excludes the
typical suicide from the main burial area.
==

Our cemetery (which was established around 1960) has a number of graves at
the far edge - where several suicides are buried.
All these were -TTBOMK- from the 60s and maybe 70s.
I don't think this minhag/halacha is still practiced today.
Presumably because virtually all suicides are considered to have done so
through illness - depression  etc.

But it would be interesting to know why and when this 'hetter' was
introduced.
Does anyone know of othe rplaces where suiides are buried 'chutz lamachneh'?