[Avodah] Kiddush Hashem

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Sep 16 09:36:33 PDT 2012

The following is from Rabbi Dr. David Tzvi Hoffman's essay  PROBLEMS
OF THE DIASPORA IN THE SHULCHAN ARUCH that is printed in Fundamentals
of Judaism.  For information on Rabbiner Hoffman see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Zvi_Hoffmann  YL

Kiddush Hashem

Maimonides introduces his Hilchoth Yesode ha Torah (Ch. 5) with the
following statement: "The entire house of Israel is obliged to
sanctify the exalted name of God, for it says: "I shall be sanctified
in the midst of the children of Israel" (Lev. 22, 23). The
sanctification of God's name, Kiddush Hashem, may be achieved in three ways.

( 1) "Throughout the world we must proclaim the true faith  without
fear of coercion and repercussions. We must sacrifice our lives
rather than have the enemy assume we renounced our faith" (Sefer haMizvoth 9).

(2) "He who refrains from sin or performs a good deed, not because of
fear or to obtain personal advantage, but in honor of his creator-he
sanctifies the name of God" (H. Yesode haTorah 5, 1O).

(3) "He who is on friendly terms with his fellowmen, receives
everyone kindly, insults none, refrains from participating in the
shallow pleasures of the world; busies himself constantly with God's
teachings, living in a manner that causes all that know him to praise
and love him and to attempt to live in his ways he sanctifies the
name of God, and of him Isaiah proclaims (49, 3): "My servants are
you, oh Israel, through you I will be glorified."

Of the Patriarchs and their selection to form the people of God, the
Torah says: "" .. through them and their descendants all generations
on earth shall be blessed ...." This then is to be Israel's
convocation: to carry the banner of God in the midst of the nations
and to glorify his faith. Whenever the Jew performs an act of
kindness and goodwill, he promotes the idea "that the Jewish people
consists of righteous men," and neither his personal nor  the
national glory matters. The glorification of Divinity, the message of
absolute Divine rulership must be the sole motive of our actions, the
sole basis for our relationship with men of different faith.

The immediate and practical aspects of "Kiddush Hashem" are vividly
illustrated by the following accounts in Yerushalmi Baba Mezia II.

"Simon ben Shetach owned a flax business. One of his disciples
decided to acquire a donkey to spare the master the burden of
carrying his wares. They bought the donkey from a Sarazene and found
a precious pearl hanging from the neck of the animal. Overjoyed, they
rushed to Simon. "Master, your troubles are ended. Behold, we bought
the donkey and found this jewel." "Does the owner know about it?",
asked the Rabbi. "No." "Return the jewel at once," ordered the
master. Then the disciples returned it, the Sarazene exclaimed:
"Praised be the God of the Jews." Comments Yerushalmi: "The law
permits to keep an object lost by a heathen. But to Simon ben Shetach
the heath en's reaction was more precious than all the treasures in
the world."

"R. Chanina related: Our old teachers bought a pile of wheat from
several soldiers. In the pile they found a bag of money. they
returned it, the soldiers exclaimed: "Praised be the
God of the Jews"." "Abba Osia from Turia was a washerman. One day he
found  at the bank of the river a precious jewel left there by a
matron. The lady said: "You need not have returned it; I have
many  more beautiful jewels." R. Osia retorted: "The Torah commands
us to return a lost object." And the matron exclaimed: "Praised  be
the God of the Jews."

"R. Samuel ben Suzarti once found jewels in Rome that the  Empress
had lost. She had issued the following proclamation: "Anyone
returning the jewels within thirty days will receive a  generous
reward. If the finder keeps the treasure longer, he will have
forfeited his life." R. Samuel returned the jewels on
the  thirty-first day. Surprised, the Empress inquired whether he
had  not heard of the proclamation. R. Samuel replied: 'I have heard
of it. Yet, neither the promised reward nor the fear of punishment
caused me to return the treasure, but solely the fear of God." And
the Empress exclaimed: "Praised be the God of the Jews."

The importance of sanctifying the Divine name indirectly annuls the
heathen-laws that do not harmonize with the principles of
righteousness and love for humanity. These laws were  mainly designed
for the judge whose finding must take into account the heathen
viewpoint. To the religious individual the  divine command of "I will
be hallowed" was always guide and measure for all his actions. Where
is the son of the Jewish people who could refuse the  demand of
Kiddush Hashem? Our history is saturated with the bloody sacrifices
of countless men, women and children who  offered their lives on the
altar of Kiddush Hashem. The history of the Jewish people is the
history of a continuous and heroic Kiddush Hashem.