[Avodah] RSRH on Metzitzeh bePeh

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 14:17:01 PDT 2012

From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>

>> No,  you just say it's done for medical reasons. Whereas the MN concludes
it was  for deOraisa ones unrelated to medicine. This dismisses your
argument that  bepeh is simply an efficient way to do metzitzah.

Also, recall that RSRH  is among those who hold the mitzvah is specifically
metzitzah bepeh, and is  only meiqil in considering using a tzinor as
still being bepeh. Leshitaso,  not just that of those who require direct
contact, MbP is because G-d said  so. Nothing about efficient ways to
remove bacteria.

Eilu va'eilu. We  meiqilim shouldn't be in the business of trying to
win a machloqes by gov't  intervention. ...
We are talking about 11 cases in a 12 year span that the  Agudah estimates
included 3,500 MbP/year. IOW, 2.6 cases per 10,000.  <<

--
Micha  Berger
micha at aishdas.org

A recent article in Mishpacha about this pointed out that the number of
fatal infections acquired by newborns in hospitals each year is  greater than
the number of infections following milah by many orders of  magnitude.  Yet
there is no government outcry about the rate of infection  in hospitals, no
campaign to persuade women to give birth at home and avoid  hospitals at all
costs.

One statement made here by RMB is particularly important:  we must not
settle our internal eilu ve'eilu differences at the point of a government  gun.
 Our long history shows that inviting the government into our tents  never
bodes well for us.

--Toby  Katz