[Avodah] Ein haPargod Nin'al biFneihem

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 28 04:20:38 PDT 2012

H/T R' Mordechai Torczyner <http://torahbyemail.blogspot.com/>

BM 59a (also Tanchuma Noach 4):
    Amar Rav Avohu
    3 devarim ein hapargod nin'al bifneihem:
	ona'ah
	vegezel
	vaA"Z
    Ona'ah, dikhsiv:
	"Hinei H' nitzav al chomas anakh
	uvYado anakh." (Amos 7:7)
    Gezeilah, dikhsiv...

(I had to look up "anakh". It's a plumbline.)

I'm wondering. If HQBH won't stop looking (especially) at someone's
"geneivishe shtick", why does R' Avohu need to mention actual gezeilah,
never mind prove it from a separate pasuq?

And would R' Avohu say this means "teshuvah tefillah utzedaqah" about
everything else in someone's year won't amount to a hill of beans if
he didn't do something about these three aveiros in particular? That's
what I would take away from being told they're not ignorable.