[Avodah] Historical Mishnayot

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:26:56 PDT 2012

The Mishna in Rosh HaShana says that in the olden days, they used to use
fires to transmit when Rosh Chodesh was, until the Cuthim went about
messing them up. It then lists the path that the fires used to travel from
Yerushalaim to the Golah.

What is the purpose of this historical information? Why do I care where the
fires went, as we no longer have fires today? Is it purely so that if the
conditions changed (and there were no Cuthim and there was kiddush al pi
reiya) that we would revert to that original method and need all the
details?

Kol Tuv,

--
Liron Kopinsky