[Avodah] How Does G"d Put On Tefillin

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 23 09:11:11 PDT 2012

Dear Ovedim,

About ten days ago someone posted a link to an article in Tablet
magazine critical of aggadeta's theology. Posters on list focussed on
the author's focus on demonology, however I want to address his other
points, about antropomorphism in the aggadeta, particularly regarding
G"d's tefillin. I penned a response on my blog, which I am linking to
here: http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/did-the-talmud-suggest-gd-has-a-head-learning-to-interpret-rabbinic-legend/

I also wrote my interpretation of another aggadeta, also in Berakhot,
but on 4a, regarding the names of King David's second son. You may
find it here: http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/plumbing-the-depths-of-aggaddic-exegesis/

In that latter article, I make a rather general claim about aggadic
exegesis, typified by my approach that when R' Yochanan says that lo
Kileav shemo ella Daniel Schemo, velama niqra shemo Kileav ..., he is
actually engaging in peshuto shel miqra and teaching that in aggadeta
fashion, but it's really about peshat.

Reactions welcome. Kol tuv,

--
Arie Folger,