[Avodah] Siyum Sources

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Aug 20 07:31:57 PDT 2012

In the booklet from the siyum hashas R' A Z Ginzberg states: "Throughout the Talmud and Midrash are numerous references to the timeless custom of making a siyum when completing the Talmud or even just a talmud tractate"

He then goes on to quote Shabbat 118b -"bring me a young scholar who completed a tractate, and I will make a festive holiday for all the Rabbis".    He then quotes various rishonim who seek a source (page 50 of the booklet)

Questions:
1. I found the "numerous surprisin since the Abaye one is the only one I know of and even there it is in the "teiti li" category - i.e. it was beyond the norm?
2. chazinah is usually translated as I see, is the "bring me" a usual translation as well?

KT
Joel RIch

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.