[Avodah] Sleeves below the elbows

Isaac Balbin isaac at balb.in
Thu Aug 16 20:19:15 PDT 2012

On 17/08/2012, at 1:04 AM, Professor Levine wrote:

> Then I guess I have to conclude that what R. Fuchs wrote in Halichos
> Bas Yisroel is either misleading or incorrect or both.  See
>
> http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/bas_yisroel.pdf

Why so? Rabbi Fuchs's mode of Psak is clearly not from first
principles so to speak, and is founded on the notion of standing on
the decisions of others. I don't think he paskens in the classical
sense per se. Rather, he seems to be a Melaket of those decisions
which comport with a certain Charedi practice, especially in Israel.
Rav Henkin on the other hand, in the mode of his Zeyda, paskens in a
classical methodology, and is clear and analytical in coming to his
views in his Psokim. Anyone can disagree or provide a differing
analysis. I'm sure he would respond to these in the same way that the
classical Posek would in defending (or indeed changing) their
position.

> On the other hand, given the Kedusha of EY wouldn't one expect women
> living there to conduct themselves at least according to 7 above.

I'm not sure the Kedusha is the factor in Tzninus once one moves past
the Shuras HaDin. Rather, it is the Minhag in EY (if there is such a
thing) and the minhag in a particular locale (if there is such a
thing) that provides further guidance.