[Avodah] Who did Hakhel?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 15 14:43:42 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 04:58:49PM -0400, R J Chesky Salomon wrote to Areivim:
: On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
:> Side-note: Shelomo calls himself "Qoheles ben David" in a fit of Ruach
:> haQodesh. He was the only king to fulfill Haqhel -- before him there was
:> no BHMQ, and after him 10 of the shevatim wouldn't come. Related is the
:> yeish omerim in Rashi, that Qoheles is a collection of things said he
:> at Haqhel.

: Enough of the 10 shevatim returned under Yoshiyahu so they could have
: a Yovel year; would Hakhel not have occurred as well?

Since according to Qoheles Rabba it didn't, this shitah's answer must be
"no". (I now also see that QR includes Rashi's source.) Now we just
have to figure out why.

Here's how I do the math...

The shevatim returned in Yoshiahu yr 18. That's when they started
counting the yovel -- not actually observing a yovel year. There
are 14 years of Yoshiahu and Yehoyakim and Yehoyachin were 11 yrs,
Tzidqiyahu another 11. 14+11+11 = 36 years. So, as the gemara concludes
(Eirchin 12b), the next yovel would have been 14 years after the churban.

Yoshiahu's restoration of enough of the shevatim to restart yovel didn't
lead to an opportunity for Haqhel.

Micha Berger             People were created to be loved.
micha at aishdas.org        Things were created to be used.
http://www.aishdas.org   The reason why the world is in chaos is that
Fax: (270) 514-1507      things are being loved, people are being used.