[Avodah] The Talmud?s Many Demons

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Wed Aug 15 03:24:27 PDT 2012

I cannot see what could be scandalous or even surprising
about the existence of thousands of invisible demons all
around us. After all, don't we all still believe in them?  I
do, because the evidence is overwhelming.

Chaza"l failed in their attempts to see them because they
didn't have the tools.  Today, we have the tools to detect
them and have given names to many of the demons, e.g.,
germs, microbes, bacteria, microorganisms, viruses, etc.
We've even found them in water. all kinds of usually
invisible single or multiple cells, amoeba, paramoecia,
etcetria and etcetria.

We even have found some of the good demons, yehudain, and
they are added to our yoghurt and called probiotics that
improve digestion.

Very brilliant of chazal to have figured out the existence
of invisible demons and differentiating between types, from
noting the results of their activities without any further
knowledge of how to see them or control their actions.

David