[Avodah] Shayala of Onaah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 7 13:16:22 PDT 2012

RYS mentioned the error made in pricing El-Al tickets that led to very
cheap airfares for some luck customers.  He asked:
> What is the halacha of a shaliyach underpricing an item accidentally?

El-Al will be honoring those prices. So, while I'm not answering your
general question, in our case there are two possibilities.

Either they decided for customer relations reasons to be mokhelim the
money, and therefore there is no onaah.

Or the FAA or some such agency is making them eat the loss. In which case
the CM 359 version of DDD would apply, and I would think the qinyan is
chal bedi'eved, but taking advantage of the shaliach's error might still
have been assur lekhat-chilah.

Micha Berger                 Life is complex.
micha at aishdas.org                Decisions are complex.
http://www.aishdas.org               The Torah is complex.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                                - R' Binyamin Hecht