[Avodah] ceremonies in halacha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 30 11:52:08 PDT 2012

I'm reviving a thread that ended Dec 1, 2011.
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=C#CEREMONIES%20IN%20HALACHA

On Nov 28 <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol28/v28n239.shtml#07> I wrote:
> RYZS ("R' Velvel") holds that when Ashkenazim perform minhagim with
> such matbeios, eg lighting a Chanukah menorah in shul, they do make a
> berakhah; and when performing ones that do not, eg Chatzi Hallel. I do
> not claim to know how the BR defines a close enough imitation to qualify
> as having the same matbeia.

As opposed to klapping hoshanos, the oldest minhag, which gets no berakhah
because it doesn't follow an matbei'as mitzvah.

This notion of matbeias mitzvah also explains why most Ashkenazios make
berakhos on mitzvos asei shehazman gerama. Leshitaso, it's one machloqes.

I had an odd thought...

The Gra made a berakhah "al akhilas matzah" whenever eating matzah during
the entire 8 days of Pesach. He holds that while the mitzvah chiyuvis
is only the first night(s) of Pesach, there is a qiyum mitzvah by eating
matzah the rest of Pesach.

Well, I was thinking... According to RYZS, even if one doesn't hold like
the Gra WRT a mitzvah qiyumis, perhaps one should stll make a berakhah
on performing a matbeias mitzvah in avoidance of the issur of chameitz.
And if not in general, perhaps on Shabbos ch"m and the last days, when
the se'udos are chiyuvim and therefore eating matzah is unavoidable.

Micha Berger                 Time flies...
micha at aishdas.org                    ... but you're the pilot.
http://www.aishdas.org                       - R' Zelig Pliskin
Fax: (270) 514-1507