[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 17:39:39 PDT 2012

My husband has a Judaica store in Hollywood (FL not CA) and his suppliers
send him catalogues of items to order.  In the latest catalogue, one
supplier is offering an item that looks like a pair of tealights, but instead of
being candles or even an electric light bulb, these are battery-powered LED
lights for Shabbos licht.  They have the advantage of giving off no  heat.
The idea is that they could be used by a patient in a hospital or  anywhere
that open flames would not be feasible.

My husband wants to know whether you really could use these LED lights as
Shabbos candles, and could you make a bracha "lehadlik ner shel Shabbos"
over  them?  An LED light is not a ner -- or is it?

Maybe the same objection can be made to electric lights that have  been
used in lieu of candles.  Our local Bikur Cholim  lends hospital patients brass
Shabbos candlesticks with fake electric  "flames."

So, is an electric lightbulb a "ner"?  Is an LED light a "ner"?   Can  you
use them for Shabbos candles, and can you make a bracha over  them?

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair