[Avodah] Avodah] Who is a Talmid Chacham

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 3 12:08:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 02:14:05AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> The definition of Torah lishmah is that there is no "output"...

This is what it says in Nefesh haChaim cheileq 4. (Although I doubt
that's your source, at least not directly.) But it's the opposite of the
conclusion reached by the Meshekh Chokhmah and R' Shimon Shkop, who say
"lishmah" is al menas la'asos or al menas lelameid. (Which is also what
makes Torah greater than the maaseh.) As posted in the past.

Pretty compelling is the MC's argument -- we can learn better without
being born. Which does fit the gemara Berakhos, which says those who are
mechadeish chidushei Torah shelo lishmah are better off not being born.

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter