[Avodah] Halachic Discussion of Tow Truck Baby

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Jul 1 14:41:38 PDT 2012

At http://tinyurl.com/6tawbv7 R. Gil Student concludes

I suggest, albeit tentatively, that the husband
who flagged down someone to help was doing the
right thing in trying to secure either a woman or
gentile to assist. He must even hire someone to
help if necessary; certainly he must try to ask
someone to help. If no help was forthcoming, then
he should delivery the baby himself.

An additional consideration is that almost anyone
is more qualified to deliver a baby than the
father, who is usually so nervous that he cannot
properly function. Add in the unusual roadside
circumstances and you have a very jittery man. A
stranger is probably better for the wife. Of
course, the wife is probably uncomfortable with a
strange man delivering her baby. The exact
calculus of which is greater–the physical benefit
of a clear-thinking man or the psychological
detriment of a strange man–seems impossible to
resolve on any general basis. Every case is different.

Of course, this all assumes that he had
sufficient time to find someone. If not, he would
be endangering his wife’s and his baby’s lives.
 From the fact that he was successful, we can
deduce that either he had enough time to ask for
help or he was lucky. My two youngest children
were extremely quick deliveries but I seem to
recall time for brief discussion (by the doctor,
not me) during the final moments.

In the end, I can’t condemn the man. He may have
done the halakhically proper thing. It all
depends on so many factors that we cannot
evaluate from a brief news report. Most important
to note is that he did not abandon his wife; he
sought help. If no one was available to assist,
he would certainly have delivered the baby
himself rather than abandon his wife and newborn to child to an uncertain fate.

See the above URL for the entire article.  YL