[Avodah] Drops of wine

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Jun 30 19:52:12 PDT 2012

R' Zev Sero wrote:

> The Maharil says that one should think while pouring that
> Hashem should save us from all these plagues and they should
> come to Hashem's enemies. In other words it's as much about
> calling down punishment on our enemies as it is about
> diverting it from us.  We're not just getting rid of these
> drops and what they symbolise, we're specifically sending
> them to the other side.

> The Alter Rebbe explains that "the cup is the symbol of
> malchus, and one is using the power of binah to pour out,
> from the wine that it contains, the symbol of anger that is
> in it, into a broken vessel which symbolises the klipah, which
> is called "cursed".  What is left symbolises "the wine that
> gladdens", so one should not pour it out but add to it.

I am fascinated by all this, and would like to learn more. Please tell me where I can find this thought of the Maharil, and this quote from the Alter Rebbe. Please tell not just the name of the sefer, but some reference within that sefer -- neither my library nor my skills are as extensive as yours. Thanks!

Akiva Miller