[Avodah] Berachot in the Course of a Meal

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 12:49:32 PDT 2012

From: cantorwolberg at cox.net
>>There is an interesting  exception, however. If such
>>foods are eaten together with bread they  will not require their own
>>blessing. So although fruit eaten as a  dessert requires its own
>>blessing one would not recite a blessing on  the fruit if one eats the
>>fruit with bread in every  bite.

I recall this and even as a child, it seemed to be  artificial.
To say that you have to make the brocho on fruit
and that the  motzi didn't cover it, but as long as you
have the bread with the fruit, then  you are exempted
from making the brocho begs the question. It  almost
appears to be some type of fabrication.

.... It is  totally illogical.

The reasoning is something like this:

Bread IS the meal and the reason you don't have to make brachos on
everything else is that everything else comes to accompany the bread.

Fruit is dessert and dessert is not part of the meal, so requires a
separate bracha.  Unless you are still eating bread, in which case the  fruit /is/
part of the meal and doesn't need a separate bracha.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair