[Avodah] Berachot in the Course of a Meal

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Jun 20 17:04:27 PDT 2012

There is an interesting exception, however. If such
foods are eaten together with bread they will not require their own
blessing. So although fruit eaten as a dessert requires its own
blessing one would not recite a blessing on the fruit if one eats the
fruit with bread in every bite.

I recall this and even as a child, it seemed to be artificial.
To say that you have to make the brocho on fruit
and that the motzi didn't cover it, but as long as you
have the bread with the fruit, then you are exempted
from making the brocho begs the question. It almost
appears to be some type of fabrication.

After all, if having made the motzi doesn't exempt one from making
the brocho on the fruit, then logically how would the VERY
BREAD that you made the motzi over (and doesn't cover
the fruit) -- how does eating that very bread WITH the fruit
then exempt you from the brocho over the fruit. It is totally
illogical. If the motzi over the bread doesn't exempt the brocho
over the fruit, then it is a paradox to say it DOES exempt the fruit
if you eat that bread (that didn't exempt you) with the fruit. If you
want to say that it is a chok d'Oraita, I can accept that.