[Avodah] Seeking a facility for drug addiction problems

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 19 08:04:48 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:20:44AM -0400, hankman wrote:
: I am curious as to the basis for this psak. Is it in some sense a case
: of pikuach nefesh, so get the best possible treatment even at the cost
: of kashrus or chilul Shabbos, or is some other logic at play here?

I know of the Novominsker advising similarly in the case of someone
needing psychiatric care. His reasoning was parallel to piquach nefesh,
but I do not think he actually called it piquach nefesh. We are mechallel
Shabbos for PN because "chalal alav Shabbos achas kedei sheyishameir
Shabbasos harbei", which should be true for someone incapable of keeping
Shabbos in their current condition for other reasons. Especially when
no one else is being called upon to violate Shabbos on their behalf.

Micha Berger             "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
micha at aishdas.org        exactly the right measure of himself,  and
http://www.aishdas.org   holds a just balance between what he can
Fax: (270) 514-1507      acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham