[Avodah] Mourning for a parent

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Thu Jun 14 22:28:25 PDT 2012

That is too much of applying modern day circumstances backwards. Keep in
mind that pre-vaccinations, pre-clean water, pre-antibiotics, yes you
expected a child to die and it was quite the norm. I lived in Niger for
a while; there was an extremely high death rate of children before age 5
from all sorts of diseases.  In the Middle Ages parents often would give
two children the same name because they were fully confident that one
would die.

Ben