[Avodah] [Areivim] Asifa - Lose Olam Haba

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jun 11 12:11:13 PDT 2012

On 11/06/2012 3:08 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> But that's no longer what we're discussing. We're talking about a
> representative sample of a population being able to commit the entirety
> to something. I argued that while there are cases in sampling a city
> in order to make taxation or expenditure decisions for that city, it
> doesn't work for pesaq.
>
> What you are now pointing out is that after the representative sample
> of the city agree that some tax or expenditure is appropriate, a rav is
> consulted to make sure halakhah was not violated. So yes, he pasqens. But
> not that his pesaq creates the binding nature of the law, it appears to
> validate, not create.

AFAIK that's not correct.  The rav must not merely determine that the
proposed takanah is not against halacha; his consent is necessary for
it to be valid.  If he sees no halachic objection but thinks it bad
policy, he can still veto it.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion