[Avodah] Abuse and halachah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 11 14:35:27 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:10:59PM +0300, Doron Beckerman wrote:
: Looking into the matter some more. I discovered a key Or Sameach in Hilchos
: Naarah Besulah. He defines the knasos in the Torah on  these issues as
: imposed for stripping her of her dignity vis-a-vis losing her virginity to
: someone other than her husband. The indignity affected by the oneiss in
: that regard is considered less severe than the indignity affected by her
: husband claiming she wasn't a virgin. So it is all about the besulim.

It would be helpful if you said where the key OS actually is.

Based only on what you said, I don't see it. The section you're looking
are dinim specific to a naarah besulah, so of course the focus is on
besulim.

But even so, it's not "all about besulim" -- you report it as being all
about indignity. In which case, in a world where besulim are considered
cheap compared to loss of autonomy, who knows if the same theory would
generate the same pesaq. What you write actually supports IMHO my
notion of change of umdenah.

Micha Berger             Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
micha at aishdas.org        but by rubbing one stone against another,
http://www.aishdas.org   sparks of fire emerge.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz