[Avodah] G-d remembers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 11 09:42:10 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:20:23AM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: In Bechosai - 26:42 That G-d will remember the covenant with  Yaakov and
: even Yitzchak and even Avraham and the land will remember

: Oznain LeTorah explains the order that the highest level is Yaakov = the
: Jew that learns Torah, next is Yitzchak=Jew who does avodah, comes to shul
: if not than Avraham= chesed the Jew who does charitable works and if none
: of these apply than G-d will remember the land - even the Jew whose only
: merit is working the land in Israel will be remembered

If we combine "Avraham" and "Yitzchaq", we have MBLC and MBLM -- the
other 612 mitzvos.

This Oznaim leTorah would imply that learning Torah is on a higher plane
than implementing it. But WADR to RCVolozhiner and Nefesh haChaim cheileq
4, that's not what Chazel appear to me to be saying.

When they speak of torah lishmah, they debate whether we mean al menas
la'asos or al menas lelameid. And this is taken as peshat even in the
learning-centered culture of Litta, eg the Chayei Adam or Choshein
Mishpat, Devarim 26:51.

I blogged on the latter (including a full stranslation in 3 parts at
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2012/04/torah-sefer-torah.shtml -- less on this
    topic
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2012/04/learning-and-teaching-1.shtml - thesis
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2012/04/learning-and-teaching-2.shtml - applying
    it as the basis of lomdus explaining maamarei Chazal, and further
    development.

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507