[Avodah] Abuse and Halakhah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jun 7 13:48:17 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:31:16PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: I really don't think hilchos eidus are relevant here. Ask any rav you can
: think of and I am sure he would say that if you have personal, credible
: knowledge of someone who is currently being a rodef -- specifically,
: that someone is molesting children....

I think hilkhos eidus do apply, which is why chashdeihu vekhabdeihu --
even though we take the report seriously WRT considering it as reflecting
a real risk to protect future victims from, we do not accept it as eidus
WRT treating the man as a criminal.

We separate the halakhos of lo saamod from those of eidus and LH, and
end up with an ambivalent stance about accepting the story as fact.