[Avodah] bitter waters

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jun 7 10:54:30 PDT 2012

On 7/06/2012 1:14 PM, Eli Turkel wrote:
> There is a story with R. Chaim Soloveitchik that he told his wife he didnt want someone in his house (because he disliked the person not because he suspected his wife). He once returned home to find the gentleman there. He was afraid that his wife would be prohibited because of Soteh. He asked a queation and was told that since the reason had nothing to do with his wife she was mutar.

I don't see the shayla in the first place.  He never told his wife not
to be alone with that man.  She was free to see him anywhere except in
their home. She could visit him at his home.  So why would he even think
that this was a "kin'ah"?   He was merely exercising his right to bar a
visitor from his home; the Rambam rules in Hilchos Ishus that both spouses
have this right (except when the other spouse is sick and can't go out to
see his or her relatives and friends, so they must come to visit him or
her).

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion