[Avodah] Would Ruth's conversion be rejected today?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 06:27:37 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 12:07:32AM -0400, T613K at aol.com  wrote:
: But what about according to those who hold that they both  converted
prior
: to marrying Machlon and Kilyon? Naami treated both  Ruth and Orpah the
same
: way, did she not? So if there were problems with  the validity of Orpah's
: giyur,  there must have been problems with the  validity of Ruth's.

Not necessarily. Hypothetically speaking, what if  Naami saw Orpah, the
day (or the hour) after tevillah, in front of her idols?  That would
certainly cast doubt on her qabbalas ol mitzvos at the time of  tevilah,
while still upholding Rus's  geirus.

:-)BBii!
-Micha

Actually it was not I but R' Akiva Miller who wrote the passage to which
RMB is responding here.  I merely quoted RAM's passage before adding my own
comments.

And in fact my response was similar to RMB's:  I suggested that  Orpah's
conversion may have been invalid while Ruth's was valid, perhaps because
there was no genuine kabalas ohl mitzvos and sincere intention to convert on
Orpah's part.

--Toby  Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair