[Avodah] Litter on Shabbos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jun 4 12:50:29 PDT 2012

On 4/06/2012 9:47 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> Say someone is walking down a street on Shabbos, within an eruv,
> and notices on the floor the wrapper from a heimish brand product. The
> person wants to pick up the wrapper, to minimize any negative image of our
> community caused by Jewish-looking garbage flowing down the street. But,
> of course, it's muqtzah. Does avoiding chillul hasheim trump muqtzah? Can
> we call this letzorekh gufo? Does it make a different if the kid (I
> presume it's a child) opened the bag on Shabbos so that it's a keli that
> was nolad?

If it bothers you then perhaps it's a graf shel re'i.  Normally we say
that a graf shel re'i can only be moved if you must sit there looking
at it, but if you can go sit somewhere else it can't be.  But here its
very existence bothers you, even if you don't have to look at it, so
maybe the same heter applies.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion