[Avodah] Psak she'ein hatzibbur yecholin laamod bo

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Thu May 31 15:47:51 PDT 2012

RJR:

<<Truth be told, I'm not sure that psak today is same - i.e. is its
force based on presumed neder/acceptance? If I ask a learned friend who
doesn't have smicha, is it binding? One who does but from an institution
I am unfamiliar with? What if I am a member of 2 shuls and the rabbis
come out with conflicting opinions....>>

These are all interesting questions and deserve detailed discussions.
I'll make some wild guesses:

1. " If I ask a learned friend who doesn't have smicha, is it binding?"

It depends on how learned, and on who else lives nearby, and on his
age.  See YD 242:13-14.  Cf. 242:4.  So you may violate lifnei iver by
asking him.

2.  "is its force based on presumed neder/acceptance?"

See 242:34 in the Rama.  There are various opinions among aharonim about
why "hacham she'asar ain haveiro reshai l'hatir ...", and the answer
depends on that.

3.  "One who does but from an institution I am unfamiliar with?"

I can think of two opposite answers.  OTOneH it's hard to imagine anyone
with semicha who doesn't have a nodding acquaintance with the SA, and
certainly b'sha'as hadhak one can rely on the Mehaber and the Rama.
OTOtherH its precisely the person who was poorly educated who is less
likely to recognize his own incompetence.  Just to make you feel worse,
either side has its own lifnei iver problem.  See 242:13-14.

Maybe you should give him a test first?

4.  "What if I am a member of 2 shuls and the rabbis come out with
conflicting opinions...."

The Rama uses the lashon of "ir", but he lived in an era where "ir" and
"kehillah" were coterminous.  The model was that each kehillah had its
rav.  In contemporary America its rare to find anything resembling a
kehillah, which has coercive authority.  You should obviously follow
each Rabbi's psak in his own shul, but I have no idea how to decide
whose opinion to follow elsewhere.

David Riceman