[Avodah] Bene Israel of India

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed May 30 14:37:43 PDT 2012

>  My questions is how do we know we got it right and they need to switch
> to our understanding of halacha?

Because we have a continuous mesorah from the Tana'im and Amora'im
who had the authority to decide halacha for all Israel.

> If they need to switch, why did later deviations (e.g. ashkenaz vs.
> sfard) not have to pick one approach once they rediscovered each other?

Ashkenaz and Sefard didn't "rediscover" each other; they were always
in contact, and their differences in halacha, as opposed to minhag, are
merely a function of which poskim each gives more weight to.  If the BY
had talmidei chachamim and poskim, working from the same sources as ours,
then we would have to take them into account once we discovered them,
and they would be entitled to follow their psakim as they had done before.
But they had no TC or poskim; they were amei ha'aretz who did things out
of tradition, which was mostly lost or garbled over the years.  And the
opinions of amei ha'aretz don't count at all.  "Kulei alma lo pligi"
doesn't include AH.

They claim a continuous mesorah as well.  If I were them I would argue that our forefathers breached halacha by writing the oral law down.
KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.