[Avodah] Torah Pre-Sinai

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Thu May 24 16:37:00 PDT 2012

At 02:57 PM 5/24/2012, avodah-request at lists.aishdas.org wrote:
>From: cantorwolberg at cox.net
>
>I have never received a satisfactory answer to the following question:
>We are taught that the Ovos amongst others observed Torah.
>Obviously the sheva mitzvos b'nei Noach they observed but how did
>they know about the chukim and korbonos, as well as tzitzis, mezuzah,
>tefillin, etc. etc. etc.?

Not all the major rishonim actually held that way (i.e., many held
that the Avos did not follow the same halacha as Rashi.

See: http://www.tanach.org/breishit/toldot/toldots2.htm

Some even criticize that approach:

http://www.vbm-torah.org/archive/sichot/bereishit/11-64vayigash.htm

Here's a 110 minute shiur on it (I have not yet heard it), which
starts off by saying that pretty much only Rashi (of the rishonim) held that

http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/720428/Rabbi%20Menachem%20Leibtag/What%20Mitzvot%20Did%20the%20Avot%20Keep%20and%20Why%20Does%20It%20Make%20a%20Difference