[Avodah] Gishmaychem

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu May 24 12:03:19 PDT 2012

On 23/05/2012 11:20 AM, shalomyitz at comcast.net wrote:

> In the beginning of Parasha Behuchosai (26:4): "V'natati gishmaychem b'itam..."
> What does it mean to say "YOUR rain"? We can't find anyone who comments on
> this

Go to Rashi's main source, Toras Cohanim:

Your rain, and not the rain of other countries.  So how can I maintain
"And all the families of the earth will be blessed through you and your
seed"?  That there will be satiety in Eretz Yisrael and famine in all
the other countries, and they will come and buy from you and enrich you
with money, in the same way as it is said "And Yosef collected all the
money that was to be found in Egypt and Cenaan through the food that they
bought", and so it says "and as your days shall be your excretion", that
all the countries shall excrete gold and bring it to Eretz Yisrael.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion